Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Great Coffee Hunt

One of my most distinct memories from my last trip in Paris with my mom four years ago was the absolutely delicious coffee I would have every morning for breakfast. It was better than anything I had ever tasted in the US, and it made me anxious to try all sorts of coffees when I came to Paris this second time around.

Coming from frequenting Starbucks an average of twice a day (once in the morning before work, once on my lunchbreak), and enjoying having a Keurig (for when I was trying to save money towards the end of co-op) I wanted a new coffee experience. Where I would be able to get coffee from little shops and cafes on the side street, and stroll around Paris with my not over priced (Starbucks I'm talking to you) coffee and have it be absolutely delicious.

Well, I am not really sure what has happened, but I haven't run into much luck with my coffee. Was it just the hotel coffe that was good last time? Was it possible that the coffee had actually gotten worse than my last visit??

In France it seems, the specialty is Espresso shots. Single espresso shot, double, espresso shot with some milk, espresso shot with sugar. That is fine and all, because it gives me my caffeine dose for the day (or morning), but I want to enjoy my coffee. I want to sit and enjoy a cup of freshly brewed coffee. In my apartment building, I am forced to "enjoy" coffee that I make through a cheap plastic filter. Pre-ground coffee is almost impossible to find here, so I am drinking a generic store brand coffee that says its from Costa Rica. I have also resorted to buying lattes from *gulp*....McCafe. It's cheap and its coffee, at least (I think).

It's doing the trick, keeping me awake and fueling my caffeine addiction, but I was starting to get extremely frustrated with my coffee experience.

And then I found it. Three of us were strolling along the Champs Elysees when we decided we really needed some coffee. We decided to venture off the side streets and came across only really expensive cafes, with cafe au lait (coffee with milk) for about 5 euros (more than Starbucks). Finally, we found a place where we could get cafe creme (coffee with cream) for 4.90 and said okay, we are going here.

So. Worth. It. The coffee was delicious, unlike anything I had ever drank before. I finally proved my theory: Yes! Good coffee exists in Paris! And then we ordered an overpriced sugar crepe to split (6 euros, ah!) which ended up coming in three separate pieces anyway so we basically ended up all paying 2 euros for a normal size crepe. Success!


Krista with her thé, me with my café crème, and the crêpes! 
(Stole this photo from Johanna)

So, I happily found my delicious coffee, however there is no way I will be able to afford that coffee everyday (5 euros is just too much for a coffee!). I am thinking that once every two weeks I will treat myself to a coffee like that one. It will be worth it!


Bonne journée! (Have a good rest of the day!)

Feldy 






No comments:

Post a Comment